The images presented here reveal a panoramic vision of what City College was in
decades past. Buildings of incredible architectural design were either destroyed
by necessity (for example the Bowker/Alumni Library, which was never completed
and inadequate to house the collection), or they were destroyed because the
needs of the campus changed throughout the years.
Hence this is a journey through time, a world many of us did not see or suspect
ever existed, almost a pastoral world that by virtue of being captured in images,
gives us an impression of a frozen world that will never return.
From the Free Academy Building (1849-1927) to the Adolph Lewisohn Stadium (1915-1973)
and the John H. Finley Student Center (1847-1985) these buildings represent
part of the architectural heritage of City College, one of the greatest American
public educational institutions.
A metaphorical travel, these images will invoke a sense of, and by the same
token, highlight the changes in the microcosm of the campus as a reflection
of the changes in the macrocosm of the city as a whole. Since the images selected
belong to a world that does not exist any more, this microcosm is captured
in this exhibit which visually presents to the viewer how much City College
has lost and gained as it advanced its educational mission.